Friday, July 12, 2013

Just Say Yes



I've never really applied the philosophy before, but right now it seems applicable. 
I found myself yet again, holding my breath, faking confusion as a relative asks me to join in yet another event where I must introduce myself. It's 9:30pm. I'm beginning to nod off. Knock Knock. Yesss. ibu wants you to go see a relative because his daughter went to America. Hm. If this were America, I know I could give a quick hey nice to meet cha, feign some other obligation and be on my way. But this is not America. After assuming various facial expressions of discomfort, I reluctantly produce a smile and just say yes. 

I arrive to a houseful anxiously awaiting my arrival. There are around 30 people, all relatives, lining the interior of the house. After greeting each member, I'm lead to the group of English Speakers. The room falls silent and the examination begins. 

"When did you study in America?"
"Last April." 
"How long did you stay?"
" Since I was born."
"Oh sorry. I meant how long did you stay in America?"
"Oh yeah!... last April."
 "Oh. Okay." 

The conversation goes back and forth like we have rehearsed the script. Both parties trained in pretending to understand the other. Lots of smiling, everyone in the room hanging onto each word. And the 2013 Academy Award goes to.....Training hit the nail on the head. I'd practiced this scenario before. The unplanned beckoning to this house or that was what I signed up for. There must be something in between sips of tea, broken English and gum filled smiles. The tea was delicious. They were nice. She was sweet. An hour later, everyone wanted to practice their English. You like it here? Where you live? How long You stay here? Later Come back here again. We take you to the waterfalls and gardens. Thank You Thank you Hatur Nuhun. End Scene. 

I'm glowing. The night was quite nice. My desa looks different at night under the glow of street lamps. It's peaceful. Every time I say yes, Indonesia unwraps itself. I used to shake it like a Christmas present, waiting for it's contents. Now holding it in my hands, I know that only time will bring me closer to the reward. I stayed up even later to watch a live Badminton match next door. I'm scheduled to play tomorrow night. I really do like Badminton. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment