Friday, July 12, 2013

Smile!


So… I'm here! Annnnd it's crazy. We were already advised, as a joke, to wear helmets while we walk down the street and maybe throw in a life vest in case it floods… I'm gonna take that absolutely seriously. There is traffic like I've never seen and people for days and days. I did say I wanted to be near a city, but this is 42nd street crowd piled on sewers in BedStuy Brooklyn. Most people speak Sundanese, which I know about none of so I'm sure I seem a bit bougie and slow with my bahasa and baby like pronunciation. 

Take a left, take another, keep straight and my house is tucked in between two houses "under construction." To be fair, the inside is well maintained with a fully furnished bedroom waiting for me. I receive visitors like the queen, sitting perfectly poised, exaggerating my enunciation. It's a new feeling, having so many guests. You have to come up with new ways of introducing yourself so that you don't get bored of yourself. I might've thrown in a British accent a couple of times here and there. Darling You didn't! Oh but yes, yes I did! 

On saturday I went to my principle's house. The 3hr drive there, took around 7. With the traffic, babies running across the street, motorcycles balancing every household item there is, beggers, sellers and random goats, it was a bit longer than expected. They took me site seeing and we had lunch in this gorgeous deer park on the water. I leaned back balancing on my palms, face to the sky, eyes closed, when a shadow crept over me. Photo Miss? There was a circle forming around me of visitors and locals. My principle leaned over like an agent informing me that it was now time for photos and signing. Ah yes, yes of course! 

I'm already tired and it's only 2pm. I hope my celebrity dies down. I haven't been able to absorb all the newness because I have to always be new to everyone I meet. Things already seem old, if that makes sense. Here we go. We got this. Two years. Smile! 




No comments:

Post a Comment