Friday, July 12, 2013

Symphony No. Nol


I woke up in a funk today. Indonesian households usually go to sleep with the lights on. Some believe the cultural difference is to keep the ghosts from seeping in. I believe I will not get used to this. I suddenly awoke this morning to the sound of roosters screaming and my ibu managing bahasa in the same pitch right outside my door. I can't even really call it a door. There's a door, but with an opening above it that brings in more light and sound than if I were to have the door open. Being a mostly muslim country, the call to prayer is always the first to wake me up. I can hear the chants blaring through speakers around the desa around 4:20 every morning, which also lets the ibus, naneks, bibs, wanita's and perempuans know that it's time to wake up. So thus the orchestra of sounds commences and ' oh! I have front row seats. 

The call to prayer starts strong, harmonized by the echo of another call to prayer signaling the first half. The crackle of the radio and screech of the faucets and water stomping the ground lets you know that intermission is now over please return to your seats. Pshhhhhhh the wok goes with grease sparking Pop Pop.BOOM ieeeek the kitchen door crashes and creaks, Clank Clank the pots are at war. ERRRRRRummmARHHHerrrrrr! the low thunderous stream of burps. PitterPatterPitter tiny feet slap the ground. Bink   Bink  Bink   Bink hammers push nails in outside my window. TETEH! NONIS! MISSss! Dum Beep Beeeeep Alladin has entered the building. The electric piano is now the star of the show and "it's a whole new world!" 

I mind as well just burst out laughing. The sounds could not be more ridiculous. I am absolutely powerless. It's 5 minutes to 5 and there is nothing I can do. Before I pop a vein, I close my bloodshot eyes and let out a deep sigh to accompany the sounds. Jasmine said it. It's truly a magic carpet ride…

No comments:

Post a Comment